server.properties question

Chat about setting up and running your own MC servers.
james9837
Admin

server.properties question

Postby james9837 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:53 pm

I made the leap and have a server.. the host suggested by AMinecraftMaster seems really solid with a great control panel interface. I setup a spigot server with a few plugins and all is well with a handful of interlinked worlds. Pretty neat. :)

the question is: this is a family server, so I only want 3 slots to show up. Changed the server.properties max-players setting to 3 but when I restart the server it reverts max-players to 25. Now, it is a whitelist server with only 2 names at the moment, so this is not a big deal.. but I'm just wondering why it would revert this setting. Nothing I've seen in any documentation so far mentions automatic changes to server.properties file.

thanks!
-james

1wolffan
Admin

Re: server.properties question

Postby 1wolffan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Try a slightly larger number, like 8, and see if it still does it. It shouldn't be reverting like that, but maybe one of your plugins has a minimum of 25, or something like that. Your server host might also be changing it automatically. I've only ever run a server from my personal computer, and those properties aren't supposed to change unless you use commands in-game, or on-server-console. Sorry if this doesn't help, but at least I tried. ;)
Always Mischievous,
Never Devious!

james9837
Admin

Postby james9837 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:09 pm

This does help, thanks. Nice to know that it isn't supposed to change. I did go through what I could with the plugins...

Thinking about what you said about the host changing it... yea that's probably it... the plan is for a 25 slot server and I did notice they have a startup.sh script running when the server starts up.

thanks!

1wolffan
Admin

Postby 1wolffan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:25 am

yeah that sounds like what it is. If you want to test it just for funsies, try setting it to 50 in the properties, and wait for the server to do it's thing. It'll probably drop to 25 again. That will pretty much verify our thoughts. :)
Always Mischievous,
Never Devious!

Return to “Server Management”