Bi-Weekly Machine Challenge?

For discussion of the FTB server.
AMinecraftMaster

Bi-Weekly Machine Challenge?

Postby AMinecraftMaster » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:35 am

I had an idea for something to bring the server together...what if we did something similar to the build-off competition on the server?

Every 2 weeks, there would be a different theme/challenge. Your goal would be to build something within those two weeks to accomplish the challenge/fit the theme.

For example, if the theme was "Rube Goldberg" you would make a "Rube Goldberg Machine."

Thoughts? Questions? Answers?
This has been a message by
-AMM-

I make Youtube videos once in a blue moon. Check them out!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCAw57k4s-h1UD-fSLf_lHQ

Fauxx
Admin

Re: Bi-Weekly Machine Challenge?

Postby Fauxx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:09 pm

The mining "world" isn't a world, it's just a portal to about 4000 blocks away from spawn.

I think if people want to try, there is no reason not to. MCG, I get that you don't like the pack, it's not techy enough, but there is still plenty to work with. As long as people want to give it a try, they can. The World is nowhere close to getting "clogged up". I've set up multiple bases for different things and space is all there.

james9837
Admin

Postby james9837 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:06 pm

No reason we couldn't find a place or several for challenges. Pick something by one of the existing portals or perhaps someone could make a new one?

I like this idea. If it has enough interest, can we gather some theme ideas?

Note: I've become a bit busier of late, as well as other folks seem to have become.. timing might be an issue. If it doesn't work out for right now, it might have to wait a bit...

Rararawr

Postby Rararawr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:37 pm

If you want land, use my base. I haven't played in weeks and I have a giant flat spot

WelshPixie
Owner

Postby WelshPixie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:10 pm

Minecraftgeek70 wrote:Look you do what you want. it's not up to me. But this is a forum, where people discuss ideas. If my opinion is so unwanted then I'll leave you to it.

One again sorry for butting in where I'm not wanted and apologies if my comment caused offence.

Fauxx wasn't saying your opinion was unwanted any more than you were saying AMM's opinion was unwanted - just explaining how the world is set up and clarifying space issues. As is usual with internet communication, without prolific emoticons, everything reads very dry. :D ;) :lol: :geek: :)

The FTB server doesn't get as much attention as the main server, from players or admins, and with Moly in a new job and working stricter hours it's more difficult for him to come around and check on things, both performance-wise and community-wise.

If anyone's ever experiencing lag on the server that's making it unplayable, grab me on Twitter @WelshPixie (or if you can't reach me, tell one of the admins and they'll reach me) and either myself or Rusty will reboot the server. There's no reason to keep playing on there while it's lagging while not mentioning to one of us that it needs a kick. You know how to get a hold of us.
Image Steve Quest - the original Minecraft point-&-click adventure!

Jadelf
Community Helper

Postby Jadelf » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:41 pm

In my humble opinion...I think what might be a great idea for BeastSquish in it's next incarnation is that the world is generated (with spawn being in a nice area, of course) the mining area portal set up.....and that's it. As a community, we should build up the spawn area ourselves instead of running off hundreds or thousands of blocks away from each other. We can all build our own houses at spawn and we can build other buildings...grocery stores, green houses, hardware stores, villager housing (with or without the villagers), police stations, town halls, churches, parks, etc! Just build a small city! No need to follow any theme so everyone can be as creative as they want. Those who know the machines can build up a workshop of sorts, maybe make that the town hall, that everyone can use (and everyone can still have the option of building some of their own at their place).

I think that might be a fun way for everyone to work together to make a great looking area and maybe keep everyone playing longer (time permitting, of course). Plus, it'll give some people who are not experts in all the things technical a chance to use some of those items we never get to use. We can all help contribute to the supplies that are used, as well. Went mining? donate some of the cobble that you have. Found a lot if iron? Donate a few pieces to the community chests, etc. Just a though. Maybe even having a teamspeak channel or something that people could just jump into if they wanted might be nice. Easier to chat while playing when you don't have to stop what you're doing to type.

As I said, just my thoughts on something to try that allows people to still play their way (more or less, I guess :lol: ) and hopefully bring everyone together so the server had more of a community feel as people build up spawn and make it look really great! :)
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MCJadelf

Twitter: twitter.com/MCJadeLF

AMinecraftMaster

Postby AMinecraftMaster » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Jadelf wrote:In my humble opinion...I think what might be a great idea for BeastSquish in it's next incarnation is that the world is generated (with spawn being in a nice area, of course) the mining area portal set up.....and that's it. As a community, we should build up the spawn area ourselves instead of running off hundreds or thousands of blocks away from each other. We can all build our own houses at spawn and we can build other buildings...grocery stores, green houses, hardware stores, villager housing (with or without the villagers), police stations, town halls, churches, parks, etc! Just build a small city! No need to follow any theme so everyone can be as creative as they want. Those who know the machines can build up a workshop of sorts, maybe make that the town hall, that everyone can use (and everyone can still have the option of building some of their own at their place).

This seems like a great idea Jade! I would love to see something that helps brings the community together.
The thing is, we might be able to do this now, or do some things to help with this. Why wait?

I would also like the teamspeak idea.
-AMM-

AMinecraftMaster

Postby AMinecraftMaster » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Also, as I post this I am messing with the Enhanced Portals mod, which lets people get to places quickly - kind of like warps on a server, there are different portals you can head to. It is a little expensive, unfortunately.
-AMM-

Jadelf
Community Helper

Postby Jadelf » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:02 am

We might be able to, but as far as I know, spawn is protected so no one can build. It might be just the walled in area though, since we can harvest and replant. I just thought that if we started that way, everyone is ready to do that and may stick around longer. My playing is just limited by time, as I'm sure others are, as well, but some might also have hit that point where they've done a lot of things and have a lot of stuff, so don't log on anymore. I'm just hoping that building our own spawn area and seeing how big we can make it, finding food, etc in the beginning keeps people coming back and playing for longer than usual. :)

Pookkah
SquishKittyPook

Postby Pookkah » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:18 pm

You've played with Josh, haven't you, Jade? :D :D He had this type idea for his one map, that we all were to stay in the immediate area to build. It ended up like a little town with all of us together. It was nice.

Jadelf
Community Helper

Postby Jadelf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:20 am

Pookkah wrote:You've played with Josh, haven't you, Jade? :D :D He had this type idea for his one map, that we all were to stay in the immediate area to build. It ended up like a little town with all of us together. It was nice.

Yep! I can see your build from my greenhouses over by spawn! :P I decided to build my place pretty much at spawn....above the thaumcraft room....which I'm hopping wasn't a mistake....taint.... :? :lol:

Jadelf
Community Helper

Postby Jadelf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Minecraftgeek70 wrote:That's a great idea Jade and one that could possibly tempt me back. I'm a bit busy on another (my own) server at the moment. Been messing around with Resonant Rise 3 : Project Flux pack and it's .. .. "interesting*" but from a technical standpoint it's been a major head ache.

But not to detract from your post, I think a big community build is a fantastic idea. Count me in !!

* for interesting read "What do you mean the skeletons have rocket launchers and shoot everything that moves?"

Awesome! I hope everyone else likes the idea. I think it'll be fun to build ourselves a town/city, especially with all the different things that can be done with the mods! :D

AMinecraftMaster

Postby AMinecraftMaster » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:07 pm

A thought - should we try to schedule a day to start building the town/city? We've got some stuff around already, but I think it would help if we had one big kickoff thing to start things. There are already a few buildings and bases scattered near spawn, but not much else.

Should we start a seperate thread for the town/city thing? I know not everyone reads everything on IndieSquish (like me, I read everything).

Maybe this Saturday or Friday night would be a good idea, or at least to post a seperate topic talking about it, see how many people are interested. Would you like to do the honors Jade?
-AMM-

Jadelf
Community Helper

Postby Jadelf » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 am

sorry I didn't see this sooner. I wasn't able to get to the forums (don't think anyone could, actually) and then I've been really busy lately. I'm honestly not even sure who all is playing anymore. I get on when I can, but we've had a lot going on lately, so it hasn't been often. I've seen James online sometimes, and I think Fauxx popped on the last time I was on, but I haven't really seen anyone else. How many people have you seen playing lately? We have such a small population on BeastSquish that it really seems to quiet down pretty quickly once people get out of the starting stages of play.

AMinecraftMaster

Postby AMinecraftMaster » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:59 pm

Minecraftgeek70 wrote:That was the issue (and the sole issue) that I found too Jade. People were never on when I was.

I might pop back but (a) my play time is limited with long work hours and all and (b) I have my own server to attend to as well. But if there was a concerted push to build something then I would try and attend as I loved playing with you lot.

Sounds great Mycroft, but you may find ruins where your castle was - some people took the "take whatever you want" statement too seriously...
-AMM-

Jadelf
Community Helper

Postby Jadelf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Wow! Yeah, I'd agree...someone definitely took the "help yourself" to heart! Leaving it running would have definitely been a better option as those still playing could have all benefited from it rather than just one person. :shock:

I think at this point, the best option for everyone to work together to build up spawn would be when BeastSquish starts over with a new mod pack. That may actually be closer to, if not already in, summer break for my son, so I might actually have a BIT more time to play then, as well. Everyone will be ready to start playing again and we might actually be able to get something accomplished. Building up spawn while also working on your own area may give people a lot of projects to do to keep them going rather than getting all the tech set up in a couple of weeks and then being completely done playing....I hope. :)

Molybdene
Admin

Postby Molybdene » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Sorry to hear that you had some trouble with timezone & some greedy players. Tell me if you want some help setting your place starting again.
Hi from France! Image
Server IP: mc.indiesquish.com
BeastSquish IP: mc.indiesquish.com:25666

Return to “BeastSquish”