Don't Starve Together

Chat about indie games!
Lepharian
Pumpkin Fiend

Don't Starve Together

Postby Lepharian » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:02 am

http://dontstarvetogether.com/

A multiplayer stand alone for indie company; Klei Entertainment's 2D Survival sandbox, roguelike game, Don't Starve. Currently in Early Access but purchasable through two Don't Starve packs you can find on the Steam Page!

Me and some of the other admin's have been playing this, and boy is it fun! I found myself dedicating some of my free-time reading the Wiki and skimming through web pages on how to survive in this vast deadly wilderness, where nearly everything wants you dead, one way or another.

As opposed to the Single player experience, currently there are no caves or ruin areas. Nor an adventure mode, but again the game is currently early access so Klei might eventually stuff these into the game! Other then that, the game gives you ability to host a server for up to 6 players at once (Klei have confirmed they're looking at increasing the player limit for the full game) and allows 3 different game modes (or rather 3 survival experiences with different spawn/death rules).

Survival Players all spawn at a pre-set portal in the world. If you die you become a ghost and a player has to construct the brand new Telltale heart (consisting of a Spider gland and 3 grass) to revive you! The more ghost players there are, the quicker the Sanity for the still alive players drains. Thus resulting in shadow monsters attacking if players aren't revived quick enough~. If all players die the world is eventually reset automatically.

Endless Same as above, but if you die, you'll instead respawn at the worlds portal. Thus the world never resets.

Wilderness Mode Here there is no portal~. Players spawn at random locations throughout the world and death will result in you returning to the Character selection screen and respawning somewhere, completely different. Your Days-survived count is also reset.

Really really fun, I've had a blast teaming up with Pookkah, TheMommaCreeper and Hawkertech and engaging ourselves in the game. Currently I have a world going that's just past its first winter, day 40. A new record for me! Looking forward to see what Klei does with it, would be neat to see Caves and the Ruins return~ and perhaps some Reign of Giants features too~.

If you own Don't starve already, you can wait until DSTogether is officially released and you'll get a free copy of the stand alone. If not, or your too impatient like the rest of us, you can get DST early access right now by buying one of the Don't Starve packs on Steam~ (you also get two copies of the game, so you can give one to a friend :D)

If anyone wants some great survival tips just ask~ I'll share what I've learnt any-day! Your also free to use this topic to organise play sessions with one another :).
You lose a fly to catch a Trout.

Youtubes; Currently Leph playing 'Undertale!'
The Twitterbirds

avSloth
Community Helper

Re: Don't Starve Together

Postby avSloth » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:06 am

I've been playing this game with my oversea family, and it's been quite fun. I'm rather sad that they haven't included the caves or the ruins, because it would be fun to explore those places with friends. I do remember that there was a mod out there that would put those two things into the gam by turning them into biomes, but it wouldn't be the same without the darkness. I do like to add that in Endless mode, the world wouldn't reset if everyone in the world is dead. And oh? Day 40. That's quite impressive. Though surviving with other poeple is quite easier than surviving alone. Granted if there's no one who just burns everything. XD I do look forward to the new content that they will add to the game, because if it's just the original game but with multiplayer, it wouldn't be so fun in the long run.

Lepharian
Pumpkin Fiend

Postby Lepharian » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:50 am

Well the day 40 world was originally started as a playthrough me and Pookkah did, until our base was attacked by the Treeguard and winter had just arrived (it was around day 20). Pook died and decided to quit at that point. I managed to kill the Treeguard after she left and kept playing beyond that. So its been...more of a single player experience from that point on~.

The Twitterbirds

AMinecraftMaster

Postby AMinecraftMaster » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Been really wanting to play this, since I have Don't Starve, and I think I'm going to crack and buy the pack so I can play with a friend.

Hopefully I won't be scared out of my pants when I've got friends with me.
(Spiders and shadows and Grues, oh my!)
This has been a message by
-AMM-

I make Youtube videos once in a blue moon. Check them out!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCAw57k4s-h1UD-fSLf_lHQ

MegMeowse

Postby MegMeowse » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:58 am

"until our base was attacked by the Treeguard and winter had just arrived" Gahh those things always get me in Dont Starve, I always run into them at night when i'm frantically trying to get wood for a fire and always end up getting stuck in trees when running from 'em o.0.

I subscribed to Dont Starve Together on the Steam workshop to check it out earlier this month! There's alot of discussion on it, although, it seems to still be in early Beta.
Is it worth getting in it's current state and does it add anything different to it that isnt in the Dont Starve game?
Formerly known as XxSkaterMegXx o/
Okay. Look. We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster. -GlaDOS

Lepharian
Pumpkin Fiend

Postby Lepharian » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:40 pm

I mentioned everything "new" that was added in the first post. (really its just the Telltale heart and the game-modes) Otherwise its exactly the same as the Single Player experience, minus the Caves/Ruins areas and Adventure Mode features.

The Twitterbirds

MegMeowse

Postby MegMeowse » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 am

Lepharian wrote:I mentioned everything "new" that was added in the first post. (really its just the Telltale heart and the game-modes) Otherwise its exactly the same as the Single Player experience, minus the Caves/Ruins areas and Adventure Mode features.

Ah, so more options for gamemode features but less in-game elements and areas (as of now) it seems? ...As well as the obvious, being able to starve with your buddies instead of slowly losing your sanity alone with the regular Dont Starve game
Well thanks for clarifying that, Leph!
I'll definitely try to bug my family into playing :)
Formerly known as XxSkaterMegXx o/
Okay. Look. We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster. -GlaDOS

Return to “Indie Game Chat”