To The Moon

Chat about indie games!
avSloth
Community Helper

To The Moon

Postby avSloth » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Genre: RPG, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Tragicomedy, Psychological
Platform: PC
Synopsis: You follow two doctors who are traversing the memories of a dying man to fulfill his dying wish. Their latest client is an old man who lives close to an abandoned lighthouse. His wish is simply to go the moon. The two doctors, Dr. Eva Rosalene and Dr. Neil Watts from Sigmond Corporation, have the technology to alter ones memories. However, they can't force any direct changes, because it will confuse the brain. Instead, they try to gather all of accessible memories, from the most recent one to childhood. They then put all of these memories into a machine that enables the two to add, remove, or move things within each memory. From there, the machine will simulate the man's life with the altered memories.

Personal thoughts: It's just one of the best story-based games I've ever played. It's a bit weird in the sense that you will need to click in the location you would like to go. Despite of that, it's still an awesome game to play. The narrative just fits in with the situation and the game overall. The story is quite heartbreaking, after all, in the end, you can't save this man's life or change anything at all. You are just changing his memories. The soundtrack is quite impressive, and it just gives me the feels everytime I hear them. The art style is quite impressive, even though this game is built on the RPG Maker XP engine. You can tell that the Freebird Games put a lot of work into this simple and short game. I would recommend it to anyone who likes a very good story and wouldn't mind the odd game mechanics of the game.

Links: Game Webpage. Steam.
Soundtrack: Bandcamp. Youtube.

Has anyone else played the game? If so, what did you think about it? If you haven't played it, do you think you want to give it a try?

MegMeowse

Re: To The Moon

Postby MegMeowse » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:05 am

[SOME SPOILERS ON THE ENDING, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK]

Love it,
although, I've heard a theory on the ending that made me replay the game to check some things out; Any thoughts on this?

During the end when Dr. Eva Rosalene and Dr. Neil Watts(main characters, girl and the fella with the glasses) are staring at the fireworks there are two Neils seen. While it could be a bug,
perhaps it signifies that Dr. Neil is using the memory machine (on his deathbed) to revisit the memory of Dr.Eva and himself fulfilling the man's wish, basically what's seen in gameplay,so near the end scene is him watching his memories, hence the two Neil's I mentioned earlier.
From what I recall when the dying man was..um...dying there would be a red pulse, which is the heart monitor machine ceasing. During the end scene after the fireworks the old man, Dr.Eva, Dr.Neil, and River are on a rocket ship heading off into space, which was the old man's altered memory and fulfilled wish. I think after a bit of dialog the old man disappears, right? So then why is there still a red pulse? There isn't much evidence to support this, just a quick little thought processed after playing the game and reading some forums.
Guess To The Moon was just so tear-jerking I Couldn't stop thinking about the game, loved it! and I love the thought put into the dedicated review/recommendation you did, Sloth.

Sorry about my grammar, I'm not the best at these kind of things
Cheers :)
Formerly known as XxSkaterMegXx o/
Okay. Look. We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster. -GlaDOS

avSloth
Community Helper

Postby avSloth » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:15 am

----- Spoiler alert! (Sort of. Replying to Meg.) -----

Two Neils...Oh god. He's multiplying. But yeah, I noticed that, too. I do think that the developer just forgot to erase that other Neil. But if it is indeed Neil revisiting the memory, it might leave some questions for the sequel. Maybe in the future games, Neil probably ran into some sort of trouble and probably revisit the memory to help him think about the trouble. Being a bit vague with the word trouble, because who knows what it may be? Immoral dilemma during work? Not finding the purpose in life? Maybe he wants to scream to people about the moon. Or perhaps he wanted to watch that moon movie that Eva made and then got sidetracked. XD Either way, I do wish that Kan won't brush it off as a glitch and will put it in one of the sequels. And as for the red pulse...I think it's just something else. But if it's Neil on his deathbed, then...I don't know what to think about it, really. And don't worry about the grammar.

Molybdene
Admin

Postby Molybdene » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:27 pm

this game was awesome. I cried for 4 hours and tool 2 days to get back to my life. beautiful
Hi from France! Image
Server IP: mc.indiesquish.com
BeastSquish IP: mc.indiesquish.com:25666

rrebyeca

Postby rrebyeca » Wed May 06, 2015 10:07 am

Sorry about my grammar, I'm not the best at these kind of things ??
raza

Aminotreal

Postby Aminotreal » Fri May 08, 2015 4:18 am

I tried this game recently... It was amazing.
I highly recommend playing it if you havn't.

Return to “Indie Game Chat”